2006-03-14

MacBook Pro. Price-competitive?

I just shelled out for a MacBook Pro. Did I buy it because it was the cheapest laptop I could find? No. I bought it because I expect it to be really nice.

That said.

Out of curiosity, I configured a similarly-specced IBM Thinkpad. I picked the Thinkpad because the build quality is on par with, if not better than, Apple's laptops. I have a lot of respect for the Thinkpad line.

So, here's a head-to-head. I'm ignoring the touchy-feely stuff like "the time I save not having to reinstall Windows is worth any price difference." Just numbers, folks.

The MacBook Pro 2.0 vs. the ThinkPad T60. Fight!

The systems have identical processors (Intel T2500), RAM (1GB), disks (100GB), and ethernet connectivity (gigabit). They have as close to identical screens as I could manage (1440x900 on the Mac, 1400x1050 on the Thinkpad).

The MacBook sports a slightly better display adapter (256MB X1600 vs. 128MB X1400), and faster Bluetooth (2.0EDR vs. 1.1). It has Firewire, optical audio in and out, and a built-in camera and microphone. Its video output is also dual-link DVI, meaning it can drive larger screens (up through 30").

The ThinkPad has an integrated modem, as well as a PCMCIA slot (in addition to the Expresscard slot) and 802.11a (in case anyone uses it). It sports one extra USB port (3 vs. 2). I've included a cheap ($28) Logitech webcam to get the camera and microphone.

In the luxuries category, the MacBook has a backlit keyboard that automatically compensates for light levels, and a remote for accessing your media from a distance (using FrontRow). The ThinkPad has an integrated fingerprint scanner, and (if I'm reading this right) comes with an EVDO card for accessing Verizon's data service. (I don't count that last feature, as I'm not a Verizon subscriber. On both machines, I'd dial in over Bluetooth through my phone, like I do today.)

Size-wise, the Thinkpad is thicker and a half-pound heavier. The Mac is wider, but the ThinkPad is deeper (because of the different screen shapes). Both have metal enclosures, though the ThinkPad is magnesium and the MacBook aluminum.

The warranties are different; the Thinkpad's is arguably better, though I've never had any issues getting an Apple laptop serviced.

In my single snotty Mac-user jab, I have included Antivirus and Internet Security software on the Thinkpad. (Lenovo offered them at a discount in the bundle.) I know a lot of folks who get by without any Antivirus on Windows, without a problem, so if that bugs you, knock $50 off the price of the Thinkpad. Personally, I don't want to worry about it; I run Antivirus on my one Windows machine.

(If we want to start arguing over software configuration, I could always point out that the MacBook comes with vastly more bundled software, and I've left the ThinkPad at the default configuration.)

Final prices:
MacBook Pro: $2499.
ThinkPad T60: $2717.37.

Now, I did this comparison out of idle curiosity, and I was not expecting the MacBook to come out ahead. If you strip off the antivirus and the camera, the ThinkPad still costs $100 more.

Blows my mind.

1 Comments:

At 8:46 AM, Blogger b.i.t. said...

"(If we want to start arguing over software configuration, I could always point out that the MacBook comes with vastly more bundled software, and I've left the ThinkPad at the default configuration.)"

Who would argue with you anyway? Go Mac go! (Though I don't look forward to relearning all my shortcuts, even though I'm sure it won't take too long.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home