2006-05-21

Work, JavaOne, etc.

It seems some folks have been wondering where I've gone. Sorry for the lack of updates; work's been nutty.

I've spent the past two weeks or so working on my first real project, analyzing the performance of some of our systems here. It's been fun: part programming, part statistical analysis, part data visualization and report writing. Right up my alley, really, though I'm glad it's winding down.

I spent much of last week at JavaOne, working our booth. It was a lot of fun -- it got me into the city, which I haven't been able to do nearly as much as I've wanted to, and I got to show off some of our neat tech. Met a lot of interesting people.

It felt sort of appropriate on some level. A year ago next week, I approached Google on a lark, at this very conference. I was thrilled to be invited out to dinner with a bunch of them, where I met luminaries in the field who are now my much-respected coworkers. I also met Brian Goetz, who wound up soliciting my help with a pre-publication review of his excellent book.

Now, at dinner a year later, I was doing the inviting and helping to host, rubbing elbows with some of the same people, and some new ones. Brian's book has been released, and was the best-selling book at JavaOne.

Of course, I was still the same opinionated pedant, giving the Java team crap. (They're used to it by now, I suspect.)

At the conference, I ran into a few of my old coworkers from Choice. They seemed to be doing well. Things seem to have come full circle, in a sense.


On Saturday, Jeannette and I went up into San Francisco to hang out with Morgan. It was awfully nice being in the city, but I still don't think I could live there. We hung out with some of her tech-industry friends, and three times in one day I got the same line:

"Yeah, Google seems nice, if you like that sort of big-corporation culture."

*cough*

I've worked for big corporations. I'm not sure what Google they're talking about, but I think we have a disagreement in terms. :-)

2 Comments:

At 1:02 AM, Anonymous Allan said...

Hey, Off this beaten path…I must stop to remember a Cliff-wish:
Paraphrasing: “I wish I could always be linked to my desktop, so, y’know…when I sit across the room with my laptop, I am linked to all the files and preferences in my PC.”

I remember this ‘cuz of the chatter about the ~Google PC~ is out there, and it sounds just like that Biffle fantasy I heard.
…are you getting some pocket change offa’ this?
Yeah, yeah, …I know… “Google’s not up to anything like that”, blah, blah, blah…..

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger tina said...

Gucci
Replica GUCCI SHOES
Replica GUCCI handbags
wholesale gucci shoes
cheap Gucci shoes
cheap Gucci handbags
discount gucci shoes
Gucci shop
Gucci bags
Gucci shoes
Gucci ON sale
Gucci Belts
Gucci small accessories
Gucci hats & scarves
Gucci wallets
Gucci Handbags
women Gucci shoes
Men Gucci shoes
Gucci
Replica GUCCI SHOES
Replica GUCCI handbags
wholesale gucci shoes
cheap Gucci shoes
cheap Gucci handbags
discount gucci shoes
Gucci shop
Gucci bags
Gucci shoes
Gucci ON sale
Gucci Belts
Gucci small accessories
Gucci hats & scarves
Gucci wallets
Gucci Handbags
women Gucci shoes
Men Gucci shoes

 

Post a Comment

<< Home