2005-12-18

We got computers...we're tapping phone lines...

From the irony department, an article on dropping 'Christmas' from Christmas (from the San Jose Mercury News). Good to know there'll still be nuts for me to taunt in Norcal.

"They have a valid point," said Steven Van Noy, 39 of Citrus Heights, on his way out the store with a bag in his hands. "Christmas should be included in their ads. I believe in Christ, and I don't like the use of 'X-mas' or the use of 'Happy Holidays.'"


The fact that Mr. Van Noy doesn't "like the use of...'Happy Holidays'" is understandable. After all, who wants to be reminded that there are other holiday celebrations? If people started thinking about that, they might notice that these "Christmas" celebrations don't fall on the birth of Jesus, and are remarkably similar to pagan solstice celebrations...heeeeey...

But here's the real irony.

Saturday's protest was organized by religious leaders including Dick Otterstad of the Church of the Divide, located in Georgetown, east of downtown Sacramento. Donning a Santa Claus costume and surrounded by a handful of supporters, Otterstad greeted shoppers with a single message: Don't forget about the meaning of Christmas.


Don't forget the meaning of Christmas, says the guy in the Santa costume. I love it.


As for me, I've been flat-on-my-ass sick for a week now, with the flu followed by an opportunistic head cold. It's been an interesting experience. I haven't been sick since I can remember, so I now know what it feels like to have a fever.

Thinking to myself, "Perhaps this is good practice for being in cold, northern Mountain View," I checked the weather there. It's warmer there than in Phoenix right now. Colder in the summers, warmer in the winters? Sign me up.

1 Comments:

At 10:37 AM, Blogger b.i.t. said...

Umm, so, I finished writing this morning and as usual started skipping around to other folks' to see who's posted lately, and I find that this is a popular subject. *grin*

Glad you're better, dear.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home